“My Living Smart course attracted a group of inspiring people that want to make a real difference to the world we live in. It encouraged me to make small changes, but also gave me the confidence to make extraordinary changes too.” – Participant 2013
“Living Smart has given my hope direction and my direction hope.” Participant 2015
“LS has taught me that you can’t change the whole world but it is simple to change your own.” – Participant 2015
Just what is Living Smart?
Living Smart is a multi award winning behaviour change program. The course provides participants with the skills and knowledge to take action in their own homes to improve their quality of life and reduce their environmental impact.
What We Do
The Living Smart program consists of ten key modules:
Water Power Waste Simple Living Gardening for Food Transport
Healthy You Gardening for Biodiversity Healthy Homes Community
What makes Living Smart unique?
- Rather than just developing an awareness of issues and hoping people change their behaviour, Living Smart is based on sound methods to encourage behaviour change in individuals. These methods include in-class goal setting and regular sharing of intended and achieved actions building commitment to act and positive role modelling.
- Living Smart facilitators are trained in adult learning principles. The course is not a “chalk and talk” lecture series but uses cooperative learning, the sharing of participant knowledge, and hands-on activities to encourage sustainable changes and develop community.
- The ten topics of Living Smart mean it has a wide breadth, so participants leave with a very broad understanding of what it means to be sustainable and behaviour change can readily spillover from actions from one topic to another.
- The content on each topic and the choice of field trips is designed by the facilitator separately for each Living Smart course. It is based on the needs of each individual group and the expertise within the group.
- Finishing the course with a inspiring exploration of what community can achieve, feeds a desire to continue to meet with fellow participants and/or the wider community. From this many post course Living Smarties groups now operate and other community groups, networks or campaigns have been formed by Living Smarties becoming sustainability champions in the community.
“Living Smart thrives on cross-pollination, ensuring it will stay relevant in an ever-changing social and environmental landscape. We are the pollinators and communities of hope are the fruits.” – Marco Cuevas-Hewitt, participant & facilitator, 2015
A big THANK YOU
Living Smart’s co-Founder, The City of Fremantle, generously hosts the Living Smart office. We greatly appreciate their ongoing commitment to community sustainability and seeing Living Smart flourish into the future.
Please get in touch if you have further queries!